Please help support the mission of New Advent and get the full contents of this website as an instant download. Includes the Catholic Encyclopedia, Church Fathers, Summa, Bible and more all for only $19.99...
(3) On 14 June, the two martyrs Valerius and Rufinus who suffered at Soissons, France, during the Diocletian persecution; their names are given under this date in the "Martyrologium Hieronymianum" (ed. cit., 78; cf. 66 under 26 May; also Acta SS., June, II, 796 sqq.).
(5) On 30 July, Rufinus of Assisi, who was according to legend the bishop of this city and a martyr. He is probably identical with the "episcopus Marsorum" noted under 11 August. The Acts of the martyrdom of this Rufinus are purely legendary [cf. "Bibliotheca hagiographica latina", II, 1068; Elisei, "Studio sulla chiesa cattedrale di S. Rufino" (Assisi, 1893); D. de Vincentiis, "Notizie di S. Rufino" (Avezzano, 1885)].
(6) On 19 August, Rufinus, confessor at Mantua.
(8) On 4 September, a martyr Rufinus with his companions in martyrdom who suffered at Ancyra in Galatia; he is also mentioned in company with several others in the "Martyrol. Hieronym." (ed. cit., 113) under 31 August, and again under 4 September (ed. cit., 116).
(9) On 9 September, Rufinus and Rufinianus, with no further particulars.
APA citation. (1912). Sts. Rufinus. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13221b.htm
MLA citation. "Sts. Rufinus." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 13. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1912. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13221b.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Herman F. Holbrook. O all ye holy Martyrs and Confessors, pray for us.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. February 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, D.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.
Contact information. The editor of New Advent is Kevin Knight. My email address is webmaster at newadvent.org. Regrettably, I can't reply to every letter, but I greatly appreciate your feedback — especially notifications about typographical errors and inappropriate ads.