Located on the Italian coast of the Adriatic, having a small harbour near the mouth of the Petraglione. In ancient days it was called Buca; in 1567 it was put to fire and sword by the Turks. Termoli contains a fine Gothic cathedral. It is first mentioned as a diocese in 946, when Benefetto, an usurper of the episcopal see, was forced to withdraw by order of Agapitus II; the earliest known legitimate bishop was Scio (969). Among his successors were: Jacopo Cini, O.P. (1379), author of a commentary on the "Sentences"; Domencio Girada (1381), a learned Servite theologian; Fedrico Merzio (1602), a collaborator of Baronius. In 1818 this see was united with Guardia Alferia, a small town near Cerrato, which had its first bishop in 1075 and its last in 1775. Termoli is suffragan of Benevento, and contains 19 parishes, 54 secular priests, and 1 convent of nuns.
CAPPELLETTI, Le chiese d'Italia, XIX.
APA citation. (1912). Diocese of Termoli. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14518a.htm
MLA citation. "Diocese of Termoli." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 14. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1912. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14518a.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Douglas J. Potter. Dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. July 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.