SEE OF TININ (KNIN).
Located in Dalmatia; suffragan to Kalocsa-Bacs. Knin is a town on the right bank of the Kerka, twenty-five miles north-east of Sebenico. It was fortified by the Romans, who called it Ardula. At the request of Casimir IV, King of Croatia in 1050, a Bishopric of Knin was created, suffragan to Spalato; the bishop seems to have been attached to the court as preacher. Farlati in his "Illyricum sacrum", IV (Venice, 1775), gives a history of the prelates of Knin, from Mark in 1050 to Joseph in 1755. The residential succession was interrupted by the Saracen invasion in 1622; when Venice captured the district in 1768, the Bishop of Sebenico was appointed to administer the diocese, which was united in 1828 to Sebenico. The ruins of the old Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist are still visible. Today the see is suffragan to Kalocsa-Bacs, according to the "Schematismus" of Kalocsa (1909); the "Gerarchia cattolica" says the see is merely titular, and this would explain the absence of statistics. The bishop, Monsignor Joseph Lányi, who resides at Nagy-Várad, was born at Német-Prona, Diocese of Neusohl, 29 June, 1868; ordained, 2 July, 1891; Abbot of St. Saviour's and canon of Nagy-Varad; appointed bishop, 7 Nov., 1906, in succession to Monsignor John Maiorosy (b. at Al-Debro, Archdiocese of Eger, 10 July, 1831; appointed, 27 July, 1885).
APA citation. (1912). Tinin. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14736b.htm
MLA citation. "Tinin." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 14. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1912. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14736b.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Thomas M. Barrett. Dedicated to a Prayer for Peace in the Balkans.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. July 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.