Please help support the mission of New Advent and get the full contents of this website as an instant download. Includes the Catholic Encyclopedia, Church Fathers, Summa, Bible and more all for only $19.99...
An association organized in 1878 to promote the interests of the Catholic press, particularly the daily press, of Germany. The society proposes to attain its end
- by giving its moral support to the establishment of Catholic papers;
- by furnishing trustworthy information and authentic news to the daily papers;
- by training Catholic journalists, and giving assistance to the members of the profession in need of it;
- by representing the interests of the profession;
- by securing positions and giving informatiom and assistance in all matters connected with journalism, free of charge and finally
- by endeavouring to bring about the harmonious co-operation of Catholic publishers, as well as uniformity in treating the questions of the day.
The lack of organization on the part of the Catholic
Press first became obvious at an early stage of the Kulturkampf
; several unsuccessful attempts were made to supply the deficiency, among others the formation of a society
of publishers. The first feasible steps were taken at the Catholic
Convention at Würzburg
; at subsequent gatherings plans were matured, and at Düsseldorf, 15 May, 1878, a programme was drawn up which is substantially followed out in the present Augustinus-Verein, Düsseldorf became the centre of the Verein, which, now that it has spread throughout Germany
, is divided into ten groups, corresponding to geographical
divisions, each, to a large extent autonomous. A general assembly is held annually. The Verein has its own organ, the "Augustinusblatt", published at Krefeld. It also conducts a literary bureau, a beneficial society
, a parliamentary correspondence association of the Centre Party
, in Berlin
, and an employment agency. In 1904 the society
had a regular membership of 850, in addition to the associate membership.
About this page
APA citation. (1907). The Augustinus-Verein. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02106a.htm
MLA citation. "The Augustinus-Verein." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 2. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1907. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02106a.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Joseph P. Thomas.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. 1907. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York.
Contact information. The editor of New Advent is Kevin Knight. My email address is webmaster at newadvent.org. Regrettably, I can't reply to every letter, but I greatly appreciate your feedback — especially notifications about typographical errors and inappropriate ads.