Located in the east of India, suffragan to Madras. It is bounded on the north by the River Mahanadi, on the south by the Godavery river, on the west by the Diocese of Nagpur, and on the east by the Bay of Bengal.
Although this district was included within the confines of the Portuguese Diocese of Mylapur from the year 1606, and since 1834 formed part of the Vicariate Apostolic of Madras, next to nothing of missionary work was done here until the year 1845, when it was erected into a vicariate. The first fathers arriving at Vizagapatam found there one old priest, a Theatine, the last survivor of what was known as the Golconda mission. There was only a scattering of Catholics in a few places, mostly either European troops or camp followers. In 1850 their number was estimated at about 4000 at a time when the vicariate included the whole of the Nagpur districts in addition to those of the present diocese. These Nagpur districts were divided off and made into a diocese in 1887, when Vizagapatam also became a diocese, both suffragan to Madras.
APA citation. (1912). Diocese of Vizagapatam. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15496a.htm
MLA citation. "Diocese of Vizagapatam." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 15. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1912. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15496a.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Tomas Hancil and Joseph P. Thomas.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. October 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.