Please help support the mission of New Advent and get the full contents of this website as an instant download. Includes the Catholic Encyclopedia, Church Fathers, Summa, Bible and more all for only $19.99...
Niagara University, situated near Niagara Falls, New York, is conducted by the Vincentians. It was founded by Rev. John F. Lynch, C.M., later first Archbishop of Toronto, and was chartered by the Legislature, 20 April, 1863, as the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels. The original building was completely destroyed by fire in December, 1864; in April, 1865, one wing of the present building was built, and in 1869, the structure was completed. On 7 August, 1883, the Regents of New York State erected the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels into a college by the name of Niagara University. A medical school was established at Buffalo, and during its existence (1883-1898), it did much to further the study of medicine, and inaugurated the movement which has resulted in requiring four years' study for the doctor's degree in New York State. In 1898 the Niagara medical school was merged into that of the Buffalo University, as was also, in 1891, the Niagara law school. Niagara University has now complete seminary, college, and high school departments, embracing courses in philosophy, higher mathematics, science languages, commerce, and music. The university possesses over 300 acres of ground, a museum, laboratories for scientific work, and a library, containing about 35,000 volumes, begun by Bishop Timon, C.M.
GRACE, Niagara Index (1870-19912); Golden Jubilee Volume.
APA citation. (1912). Niagara University. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15204c.htm
MLA citation. "Niagara University." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 15. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1912. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15204c.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Karen E. Heer. Dedicated to the faculty and students of Niagara University.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. October 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.